Rev cgi, PostgreSQL and standalones

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Tue Sep 7 16:22:14 EDT 2004

Le 7 sept. 04, à 20:33, jbv a écrit :

> Hi again,
>
> I'm presently working on a website project for a client,
> in which all the cgi stuff will be handled by Rev on a linux
> RH server. A PostgreSQL database is also included and
> requests will be done by endusers through webpages and
> cgi scripts.
>
> Besides I will also build a couple of web apps for this client
> and his colleagues for simple management tasks of the database
> (mostly add / delete / edit records).
>
> I have 2 options, and am wondering which one is the best :
>
> 1) let these webapps communicate directly with the database,
> but in that case I need to distribute the PostgreSQL driver
> with each standalone, right ?

Not recommanded and difficult to secure and maintain

> 2) let the webapps communicate only with Rev cgi via
> post commands, and have all database requests handled
> only by the cgi app on the server...

Best and If i can add a proposal :

3)  let the webapps communicate only with an Apache + PHP/Perl/Python
sockets translator + a Rev application server via
post commands, and have all database requests handled only by the Rev
app on the server in a localhost TCP/IP mode only (set in the postgres
hba.conf file)... Lots more faster and secure than the cgi way...

Best, Pierre

> I would apreciate any advice / experience on that topic.
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris