Rev cgi, PostgreSQL and standalones

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Tue Sep 7 14:33:56 EDT 2004

Hi again,

I'm presently working on a website project for a client,
in which all the cgi stuff will be handled by Rev on a linux
RH server. A PostgreSQL database is also included and
requests will be done by endusers through webpages and
cgi scripts.

Besides I will also build a couple of web apps for this client
and his colleagues for simple management tasks of the database
(mostly add / delete / edit records).

I have 2 options, and am wondering which one is the best :

1) let these webapps communicate directly with the database,
but in that case I need to distribute the PostgreSQL driver
with each standalone, right ?

2) let the webapps communicate only with Rev cgi via
post commands, and have all database requests handled
only by the cgi app on the server...

I would apreciate any advice / experience on that topic.

Thanks,
JB