Why 7Mb?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Sep 3 17:18:45 EDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> I repeat here my post that addressed such issues, which I sent on
> Wednesday, Sept 1, under subject "Dreamcard Player" and which got
> somewhat lost in the turmoil of the Dreamcard discussion on the list:

Not quite sure what you were expecting a response to. I saw the
original message. I took it as commentary.

The Dreamcard player is big, but is oriented to allowing a single
download for all purposes. "Custom" ones, output by a full Rev license
would be smaller, but would not allow all DreamCard stacks to run, as
they would be custom to an individual application - thus defeating the
intention of a one-player-fits-all purpose. The concept with the player
is obviously "once you have it, you don't need to get it again."

What would be good to aspire to would be the Shockwave model, where if
a required component is missing, the player retrieves it on-the-fly.
The beta version of the latest shockwave player is under 2 megs. I
downloaded it yesterday in less than 6 seconds. I imagine the Dreamcard
player could evolve to working similarly.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.