Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 3 12:59:33 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2004, at 4:48 AM, j wrote:
>
>>> A company buys one tool, not millions of chips.
>>

>> A company buys a million licenses for each tool.
>>
> Nope. That's just wrong. With rev, a company with millions of customers
> only buys one copy of the program.

Well, a million copies is a bit high, and as with HyperCard the number
of people who script in any organization is almost always lower than the
number of people who use what the scripters make.

However, the larger the organization the more developers they will have,
and hence bulk licenses.

I've sold bulk licenses of WebMerge to the US Library of Congress, the
American Bar Association, and MacWorld magazine.  I'm sure that in any
of these organizations the number of web developers is less than 1% of
total staff, but there are a lot of staff.

In the education market we see this even more commonly.  The
HyperRESEARCH product I develop for ResearchWare sells departmental
licenses nearly every week.  Sure, the number of people at these
universities who need a qualitative analysis package are a small
minority, but large enough to keep us excited about the opportunities in
the educational market.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation