Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Sep 2 23:59:53 EDT 2004

I lied. I said I'd stay out of this from now on but I couldn't let this
comment go unchallenged.

20 or so years ago, I was at Intel. We kept losing design-ins to
inferior technology. My boss assigned me to figure out why and how to
fix it. The problem I found was that Motorola was giving engineering
students free SDKs in engineering school. They'd graduate, go to their
first job, and their boss would ask them what they wanted to use for
their project, which was by then already behind schedule. Moto won not
because they had better technology but because they ensured that
college grads knew their technology.

That sounds like I agree with Judy and Marian. I don't. Because the
difference here is two-fold. First, RunRev doesn't have the resources
to wait four years for college grads to enter the job market with
experience in Revolution. They have to make profits now.

Second, software isn't like integrated circuits. A company buys one
tool, not millions of chips. corporate standards always trump
individual desires. Companies are not going to standardize on
Revolution because some recent college grad shows up with knowledge of
it.

In fact, I submit, colleges and  universities are not going to adopt
Revolution as a teaching language in any significant numbers as long as
they can get "industry standard" tools like Java, C#, etc., free, even
if RunRev *pays* them to do so.

I think this part of the discussion is being largely driven by people
in the education marketplace. And I respect their right to their
opinions in the spaces they know. But overall, that market is minuscule
and all but insignificant to software development tool companies for a
whole host of reasons.

RunRev's a small company. It needs to stick to its knitting and make
money\, not gratuitously fund newbies in the hope of some phantom
long-term gain.

Let the rants begin.