use-revolution Digest, Vol 12, Issue 5

william griffin bill at igame3d.com
Thu Sep 2 03:38:08 EDT 2004

> Message: 21
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:23:40 -0500
> From: Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com>
> Subject: Re: Mac Menu Madness
> To: Use Revolution List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> On 8/31/04 11:12 PM, "william griffin" <bill at igame3d.com> wrote:
>

>> I used a reset button to put everything back in place, no go, the
>> stack
>> got shoved about 40 pixels
>> under the menuBar.
>> I quit, I restarted, and the stack got shoved another extra 40 pixels
>> under the menuBar
>> When I check the rect of the stack it is 2,22,800,44  which is exactly
>> what it always has been
>> but the display and the settings do not match. as seen here.
>>
>> http://www.igame3d.com/revmenuMadess.pdf
>>
>> What could cause this? How do I fix this?
>
> OK, Bill, here's how it works in Rev... :-)
>
> The easiest way to do it is:
>
> 1) Open the menu editor (Tools -> Menu Builder)
> 2) Create a new menubar
> 3) Design the menus the way you like (if you want to) and click "OK".
> The
> menubar will be placed on your stack.
> 4) If you have other objects on your stack, select all of them (except
> for
> the menubar that was placed on your stack) and move them down below the
> menubar.
> 5) In the Menu Builder, click "Set as Menu Bar on Mac OS" (this
> assigns your
> group as a menubar and sets the "editMenus" of the stack to false -
> which
> also shifts everything up and hides the menubar group)
>
> The rect of the stack remains the same because the physical dimensions
> of
> the stack window don't change after the menubar group has been
> assigned and
> hidden.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

Ok thanks the rect of the menuBar was 4 pixels below the top of the
groups and it was visible
since the menuMode bug issues months ago.

Now why does:
  popup stack "x"

allow for control of a slider in the popped up stack from a normal
button mouseDown outside the menu group
but not from a menuBar menuPick or even sending mouseDown to the
regular button via a menuPick?
Popping up a stack via a menuBar button just locks everything up, I can
only dismiss the popped up
stack by leaving the IDE and returning.

Even a delayed mouseDown message to the button and passing menuPick
results in locked UI.

I'm trying to get the same functionality found in the Mac OS Sound
menuBar item:

click one primary  menuBar label, get slider, set value

Is this simply not possible to achieve in a rev menuBar?

Thanks
Mr Bill