Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Fred D Yocum fdy at mcc.org
Wed Sep 1 11:00:07 EDT 2004

Chipp

10 hours enough? With all due respect I think not. The people DreamCard is
directed at are sort of like me. I am a graphic designer not a programmer
though I have and do some programming (PHP, Applescript) it would take
more than 10 hours for me just to get comfortable with the
environment/language syntax. A programmer might be able to "kick the
tyres" and take the program out for a spin, but the analogy is more like a
bicyclist who is about to buy a car. Thirty days would be enough time to
get use to the environment and build something useful that you can't live
without.

Separate point --

I am actually different than most of Dreamcard prospective users in that I
have been lurking on this mailing list for a long time. I have downloaded
Rev a number of time to play with and because I have been looking for an
excuse to use it. Over the time I've lurked the licensing as continually
been in flux. When I first looked at Rev you could use a fully functional
program but were limited to ten lines of code. In the last interation
along with 30 day trials,  there was a limited version called Revolution
Express, now we have Dreamcard. It feels like Revolution is still a young
company in search of a niche and since the constrains are artificial, they
can and have continually changed.

F D Yocum
Graphic Designer
Mennonite Central Committee