Dreamcard questions

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 1 04:35:34 EDT 2004

On 9/1/04 10:23 AM, "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> Hi Kirk and welcome to Revolution/Dreamcard!

Thanks!

> Kirk McElhearn wrote:
>
>> Documentation: there is a built-in reference doc in Dreamcard, but I don't
>> see any manual. Where can I find a manual? The website talks about _buying_
>> printed documentation; does that mean that the only way to get a real manual
>> is to pay for it?
>
> Yep, that is correct. Dan Shafer's book is a great place to start. Also,
>   there are video tutorials, some of which you can already download.
> Check the RevOnline button.

But is the book specific to Dreamcard, or is it just about Revolution and
Transcript? Or is there that much difference; assuming my HyperCard
knowledge hasn't faded too much, is Transcript all I need to learn?

>> The "Dreamcard special offer bundle": this includes Dreamcard, a book by Dan
>> Shafer (is this a book on Dreamcard, or just on Revolution?), as well as
>> "The Advanced Learning Pack". Um, what is this Advanced Learning Pack? Is
>> that the printed manual?
>
> You can learn more about the Advanced Learning Pack at:
> http://www.runrev.com/section/platform.php
>
> It's basically more online video tutorials to help you get started.

Yes, but the above web page doesn't give any details...

>> The website also talks about an "update pack" which costs another 33%...
>> What is this? It seems like the program is reasonably priced, but to learn
>> how to work with it you need to shell out a fair amount of money. I'd like
>> to make sure I know what I'm getting before I get into this.
>
>  From the website:
> The Dreamcard Update Pack entitles you to a full year of updates to your
> Dreamcard product. This means you will be able to download and unlock
> every new release of Dreamcard during your license period, giving you
> access to new features, improvements and bug fixes as they happen.

Right. So minor upgrades are not free then?

> Y'know, last I heard, the online Docs ran about 4000 pages, that's why
> they're so expensive to print and can't be included in the $99 base price.

I understand that for the reference docs, but I still expect some sort of
intro manual...

> You also may check out some of the runrev websites (including mine:-) at:
> http://support.runrev.com/resources/useful_sites.php

Will do.

>> Thanks for any help,
>
> We're always here!

Thanks. Looking back at the list archives, it seems that there is a thriving
community around these programs. That's always a plus when starting out with
something unfamiliar.

Best,

Kirk

                    Forthcoming book: iPod/iTunes Garage
                        http://www.mcelhearn.com
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .