audio input level

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Nov 27 13:58:40 EST 2004

Hi Frank, Ken, Dan, et al.
On Nov 27, 2004, at 9:00 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:46:08 -0500
> From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
> Subject: Re: audio input level
>
> Hmm..
>
> According to the Standard Additions dictionary (10.3.6), there is an
> immediate parameter from 0 to 7 (being discussed here), marked as
> "deprecated", which if given, will cause all of the other options to be
> ignored.  It would seem that with either OS X 10.3.5 or 10.3.6, these
> options were added to the Standard Additions dictionary, and the older,
> single-argument format was deprecated.  In order to use this method
> then, one would need to upgrade to at least that version of OS X where
> the option was added.
>
> Not sure what to suggest if someone is using an older version of OS X
> (10.2), other than to upgrade.  There may be another way to do this
> (such as scripting the System Preferences application, or perhaps via
> the shell function and a command line tool), and I'm sure you could do
> it by writing an external for it...
>
> On Nov 26, 2004, at 11:54 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

Dan's reply snipped

>> Actually, I *do* have the Standard Additions library, but the entry in
>> the
>> dictionary just says:
>>
>>   set volume <number>
>>
>> where <number> can be 0 to 100. Nothing about input volume...

Yes, let's not mix them up.

The problem is in changes with OSX and the implementation of Core
Audio, I think. The normal system output volume levels used to be
between 0-7, but that has changed. That means if your project changes
the _system_ audio level, returning it to where it was should be
handled with caution. Dealing with OS9 or Classic can get pretty hairy,
and you'll need to do some testing to be sure you return the user's
system sound output level to where it actually was. AFAIK, you'll have
to check system versions to deal with it properly.

AFAIK, there is no way to deal with actual system sound output between
OS 9 -- Classic -- late OSX versions without careful testing, because
they handle it entirely differently.

Also note that QT sound output levels can be balanced 0-256, or -128 to
+128. This is different, and does not affect system sound levels, so I
recommend you use it when you can.

I'm not having any problems with input levels under OS 10.3.5.  0-100
works fine here.