Revolution Comment

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 15:19:53 EST 2004

--- Mathewson <richmond at mail.maclaunch.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> 1.  I requested help from RR with this development
> and
> (after about 6 weeks) recieved some very vague
> promises
> that have never materialised.
>
> 2.  RR do very nicely thank you by appropriating
> people's
> idea that are offered FREE on thi list and elsewhere
> and
> then charging us all for them - this doesn't seem
> entirely
> fair.
>
> 3.  I would be more than happy to release my
> prototype
> under some type of open source agreement - but how I
> make
> sure RR don't get their rapacious commercial paws on
> it I
> just don't know!!!
>
> 4.  My website can only hold 3 MB of stuff so I
> would need
> someone to offer me space to upload the prototype
> to.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

Hi Richmond,

While I try and steer clear of this sort of mockery of
the human ability to reason in a logical fashion, I'm
getting quite fed up with the lengthy diatribes
produced by malcontents.

In Xavier's case, I agree that as he paid for the
product, he has the right to expect proper support of
the package and a quick resolution of bugs.

At the same time, having looked at a number of bug
reports that he posted through bugzilla, I have found
them confusing and hard to reproduce at times.
Nevertheless, when there's a problem, it needs to be
resolved in a professional manner, with courtesy from
both sides.

But the utter tripe that I have read above, makes me
wonder why humanity hasn't nuked itself into oblivion
yet. To quote my favourite comedian, George Carlin :
"Think of how stupid the avrage person is, and then
realise that half of the people on this planet are
even more stupid."

First of all, Revolution is a commercial company with
limited resources -- they can't hold your hand 7 days
a week, 24 hours a day.

Quite frankly, had you behaved towards me in the same
fashion as you have towards them in the past, I would
have installed a rule to have your emails
automatically deleted, regardless of what gems of
information might have been stored therein.

Secondly, it is in the nature of any business, and
even more so in the IT-sector, to look at other ideas,
and learn how to aply what they do better in order to
improve your own product -- otherwise Intel users
would be stuck with DOS.

And could you please show me parts of which projects
have been 'misappropriated' to form part of the
Revolution development environment ? A lot happens in
a short time, and some of the ideas that make it into
my own products have sometimes been lingering for
years before I get around to implementing them.

Thirdly, if you're so worried about parts of your
software, which you're willing to give away for free,
getting included for all users, not just the ones with
the time to scourge the web for your particular
contributions, then who or what are you working for ?
To the benefit of all, or for the personal glory ?

Besides, if they're still available from other
origins, and they're better than the Revolution
variant, people will find it and use it -- us
programmers, we're usually a lazy bunch, which leads
us to try and find the most efficient way possible to
accomplish a task.

Fourthly, there are numerous places on the web where
you can gather space : setup a few Yahoo/Geocities
accounts, look at Freespace.com -- or heaven forbid,
try and work on a business model that allows you to
pay an ISP for hosting the files ; ever heard of
Paypal donations ?

Finally, and then I hope never to climb on this soap
box again : grow up -- nothing in life is free but
there are plenty of opportunities to make it, none of
which involve sulking in a corner like a spoiled brat
that didn't get the shiny new toy he wanted, while
hurling incoherent accusations at the people who are
trying to do their job.

Now can we all pick up our lives and jobs, and focus
on what this mailing list is about : helping other
people try and get the most out of Revolution, rather
than bitching about imperfections ?

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Join us at the European Revolution Conference
November 14-16, MALTA. ~ http://TechieTours.com/Rev/

=====