Revolution Comment

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Nov 19 18:41:33 EST 2004

Howdy,

I've been a hyperCard user since before some subscribers here were
born. This is my maiden message on this forum. Let's see how many
people I can irritate  ;-)

I got the bargain deal for Revolution or DreamCard or whatever it's
called. I must say I'm grateful to have it.

I tried opening some of my stacks. In some ways, I was very
impressed. In the blink of an eye Revolution told me what handlers
could not be compiled, and where they were. In some cases, it told me
what the problem might be, like maybe improper use of a reserved word.

On DoMenu... and Set the top of bg field "foo" to 999 seemed to be
the main problems. These things shouldn't be hard to fix. I'll have
to figure out how to write a proper script to set the top of bg field
foo...

OTOH... My native hyperCard popUp buttons didn't display right. When
I opened  up the hood, so to speak, I was amazed and overwhelmed by
the huge number of ways I could configure the buttons. Same reaction
when I looked at how to set field attributes. I'll figure out how to
make them display right, by trial and error, probably. The
documentation must be overwhelming, also.

Some people will love all the new features. Computer professionals,
mostly, I'd guess. I'm kind of disappointed. Revolution is a Space
Shuttle, and all I need is a hang glider. That's why HC was such a
good thing for me in the first place. Why can't we have Revolution
Lite, for morons like me? Native hyperCard 2.4 does everything I
need, and much, much more, except for a Reports add-on. Some of the
HC externals are handy, but I could get along without them. I gotta
life, a family and a profession. Learning massively complex new
applications is not my idea of a hobby!

This is one more incentive to stick with OS 9 or classic mode and
hyperCard for another year. I wonder how long I can make this last?

Maybe someone will write an external that will turn Revolution into
Revolution for Morons, by hiding and disabling all the perplexing new
and unneeded features for people like me. Probably won't happen...

My thoughts, worth their weight in gold... (Lemme see... About how
much do they weigh???)         ;-)

Have a nice weekend,

Tim Miller