Dreamcard under Mandrake Linux 10.1

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Tue Nov 16 14:44:26 EST 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Emmanuel Yves wrote:

> Hi Franck,
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> You're right : I finally have let rev files in my home directory : I 'm
> not keen on changing writable rights on /opt directory ...
>
> In order to launch Revolution_Dreamcard executable, I also have created
> an executable file launcher (dream) in the same location
> (/home/emmanuel) :
>
> Created with the Vi editor, it launches the command
> /opt/Revolution_Dreamcard-2.5/revolution_dreamcard.sh
>
> and, of course, I have made a chmod +x command on this file.
>
> Otherwise, I'd like to know if it's possible to define in Dreamcard
> the /home/emmanuel directory as rev files directory by default, or,
> eventually, see to it that by clicking on (or, by typing in a terminal)
> *.rev files it launches automatically the revolution_dreamcard player.
> hope you'll understand what I want to say, my english language isn't
> really perfect :-(

I don't know about setting a default save directory (maybe someone else
can pitch in here?), but as far as opening .rev files when
double-clicked and from the terminal:

 From the terminal, you will need to specify the name of the file as a
command line argument to the Dreamcard program.  So change your "dream"
shell script to run this instead:

/opt/Revolution_Dreamcard-2.5/revolution_dreamcard.sh $1

This will have no effect when you just run the "dream" script w/o
command line arguments, but if you specify the name of a stack, it will
hand that off to Dreamcard, requesting that it be opened.  So now you
can type something like this:

dream myStack.rev

to open the stack.

For double-clicking, that depends on what desktop environment you use
(KDE, GNOME, etc.).  You should probably look it up in the docs from
that environment (they all seem to keep track of this differently).