must externals be defined at startup?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Nov 11 16:05:03 EST 2004

On Nov 11, 2004, at 12:48 PM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> I'm reading the docs for the "externals" command:
>
> Specifies a list of files containing external code that are to be
> loaded into
> memory when the stack opens.
>

> I've got a Revolution app that resides on the user's hard-drive, and
> then
> calls anothe Revolution app off a server on the internet.   Can I
> define
> externals when the hosted Revolution app loads, or does it all have to
> take place
> beforehand by the locally-run app?
>
> For instance, could I store by externals on the host, and have the
> host-stored rev app load those externals?

If you "start using" a stack that has it's external property set then
the external will become available to your application.  So you can
download a stack that has it's externals set to "myCoolExternal.bundle"
and then start using the downloaded stack to make the handlers in
myCoolExternal.bundle available to your application.  This gets around
the problem of having to set the externals at startup.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com