FileFormat for uploading/downloading OS X apps

Frank Engel fde101 at fjrhome.net
Thu Nov 4 09:33:35 EST 2004

Another point is that OS X apps are *NOT* files -- they are "Bundles",
which are actually folders disguised as files.  If you try to treat the
app as a file you are likely to run into problems with transfers like
this.  You need some kind of archive mechanism to be able to transfer
the entire application as a folder, not as a file.  That is why
something like Stuffit is needed.

Another idea is to place the app into a disk image (a .dmg file) using
Apple's Disk Utility.

Assuming you have OS X.3:

Open Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities) and click the "New Image"
button in the toolbar.  Provide a location for the image, and specify
the size you need (at least large enough to hold the application
bundle), and encryption if desired, then make sure that read/write is
specified as the disk image format.  Save the image file.  When the
image has been created, Disk Utility will automatically mount the image
as a disk, which you can simply copy the application to.  The disk
image (.dmg file) is a simple file, which should be easy to transmit
across the internet.  Double-clicking on the resulting file under an OS
X system will then mount the image as a disk again, so that you can
access the application inside.  You could alternatively create a
read-only disk image, even a compressed one, if you take the time to
figure out how.

Maybe someone else knows how to mount a disk image using a shell() call
or something similar?