delete and put empty in url "file:" structures

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Thu May 20 10:21:39 EDT 2004

 Hi, all. I am wondering if I have found a bug in runrev version 2.2 running
under mac os x.3.3. here is the problem:

if i have a script line that goes

   delete line x of url "file:someFile.txt"

the script crashes saying that "the object cannot be found"

but if i change the script to:

   put empty into line x of url "file:someFile.txt"

 then the script works. Even the transcript docs say that "delete" and "put
empty..." are equivalents. Why would the script crash with "delete" then but
not with "put empty"? I know there are no other errors with this script (ie,
the problem isn't about finding files or anything like that, it's _strictly_
about deleting a line), though I'm not sure if the error occurs with every
call to delete a line in every url "file" structure. this drove me batty
this morning, till i figured out what the problem was.

 thanks.

rand valentine