Case Study...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Mar 26 16:08:22 EST 2004

Hey Rob!

Multi-tier in my book means using a 'middle-layer' between client-server.

This 'middle-layer' retains much of the business logic of the app and
thus the client becomes more of a 'thin-client'.

For example: Many web applications are considered multi-tier, with the
browser being the 'thin-client', ASP,JSP,PHP,COM, and/or CGI (or other
Java stuff) considered to be the 'middle-layer' and the SQL Server,
Oracle, MySQL, etc.. being the database server.

So, for instance, in the case of Revolution, a multi-tier approach means
Rev talking to a php script on a server which then queries a MySQL
database and returns the data --via XML, SOAP, plain text, whatever-- to
Rev. A significant advantage of Rev over a browser is that the php
script doesn't need to send back all of the display HTML (for the
browser), just the content. Typically, this happens almost instantly.

Hope this helps.

Yep, still plan on getting out to see Dan, just not sure when.

best,

Chipp