(long) Transparent IDE elements and other problems

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Mar 26 15:40:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, j <j at clsdesignassociates.com> wrote:

> >> - open a test stack with 1600 or more controls on a card
>
> can list members provide me some descriptions of the kinds of
> stacks/apps which would have more than 1600 controls on a card?  i do
> not mean this as a joke, and i am not trying to be a jerk.  i am
> sincerely interested in hearing from all of you.  i just can't even
> begin to fathom what the purpose of such an app might be.  ideas?
>
> thanks,
> j.

Astonishment or amazement as the "momentary overwhelming of the mind by
that which is beyond expectation" sometimes leads to questions of the
type "Why on earth should anybody......". Given the variety of
applications that can be created with Revolution - from databases, net
applications, e-learning environments to instructional programs, games,
meditation platforms, scientific analysis tools, imagedata processing
etc. etc. - it is safe to assume that there are good reasons for most of
such applications.

Our multiple-fields stacks gradually evolved from playing around with
color values, modifying and relating colors to each other, developing
structures, creating color patterns with about 100 different algorithms
- thereby using pixels, fields, graphics, or the colorbackground of
chars as elements of design.

When I opened one of these stacks that were developed in the Metacard
IDE in Revolution I suddenly encountered all sorts of problems; it was
my turn to be "astonished" as I did not expect that the same engine with
the same basic set of commands, functions etc. - which are also used to
build the IDE and the additional "rev" commands (maybe with the
exception of special externals) - could lead to such differences in
performance.

As I am interested in the further development of Revolution - and
because I am convinced that despite the addition of quite a number of
features to the Rev IDE the performance need not suffer - I created a
series of test stacks to narrow down the encountered problems. These
test stacks are very much simplified versions of the color stacks
containing only a varying number of fields (containing backcolor, but
without text or scripts) and three to four buttons to test button
performance.

Two of the test stacks are now in the hands of Rev developers and have
already been already used. There probably are or could be other and
better types of test stacks that address different problems. Anyway,
testing under pressure, under extreme conditions, can help to detect
underlying issues, diagnose flaws, show the limitations of a product,
and can lead to improvement. Testing is or should be standard procedure
in product development.-

Please, take a look at one of the results I reported in my first post of
this thread, the different ways the script editor comes up.
There are several possibilities to open the script editor - from inside
a script, from the message box, right-clicking on an object and choosing
from the appearing menu, from the script icon in the menubar, from
menuitem "object script" of button "Object" of the menubar, from the
Application Browser, and from the Object Inspector. I think that is all?
All possibilities have the same purpose, namely to open the script
editor, but they act differently - and these differences are not obvious
with smaller stacks, but may nevertheless influence the overall
performance - barely noticeable slowing down, crashes, sudden freezing etc.

With the help of the test stacks different forms of how the script
editor behaves when opened could be identified:

- the script editor comes up at once (as it normally should) showing
card, borders, controls, and text without exceptions

- the script editor comes up at once, but at first only shows its
decorations and borders, the rest remains "transparent"; after some
seconds the text finally appears

- the script editor does NOT come up at once, you have to wait a couple
of seconds - relative to the number of controls of the stack - before
the editor finally appears, but this time without transparency as
described above.

I leave out here the separate differences of how the script editor closes.

Example one occurs when you open the script editor from the Message Box
or the Application Browser - once the AB has finally appeared.
Example two is produced when you right-click on a control, example three
when you click on the script icon of the Menubar. The findings for
"button delay" apply here, i.e. clicking a second time in immediate
sequence on the icon does not lead to a delay the second time etc.-

A tentative analysis to find the underlying causes and to resolve the
problems - which is primarily the task of  Rev developers - might arrive
at a conclusion like this:

- either there are differents scripts to open the script editor that
lead to diverging behaviors; in this case the diverging scripts should
be trashed and substituted by the script of example one

 - or all behaviors indeed have the same underlying script, but are
influenced by interfering processes, most probably launched by the
front- and backscripts of the Rev IDE - as indeed can be tested by
"Suppress Messages". When this menu item is checked no differences in
opening the script editor remain.

So why should the scripts not be improved according to these findings?

It should not be too difficult to resolve the other problems that became
evident through the testing. But it needs an awareness that there are
problems that need to be resolved. I think such an awareness has now
been reached on the side of the Rev team.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke