waveforms + more rants about Rev as a dev. tool for the future

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Thu Mar 25 15:01:16 EST 2004

Richard,

> jbv wrote:
>
> > So these days the main question is (at least for me) : is it worth adding
> > about 1,2 Mb (the Transcript engine) to a standalone, just to handle
> > mouse events ? IOW, is it worth keeping Rev as the central dev. tool
> > for an app, and why not used C librairies instead, and code the whole
> > thing in C ?
>
> Trivializing what the engine delivers as "just to handle mouse events"
> seems unfair, overlooking the majority of what it does.

your comment is not fair : it actually DISTORTS what I wrote.

Once again, I said that IN THE CONTEXT OF THE APP I'M WORKING
ON, 85 to 90% will be handled by externals (including some crucial GUI
elements) and that Rev will only be used as a "glue" between all of them.
IOW, the only tasks handled by Transcript will be mostly mouse event and
perhaps files i/o.

Hence my question : IN THIS SPECIFIC CONTEXT, is it worth adding
1.2 Mb just to handle mouse events ? IN THIS SPECIFIC CONTEXT,
could this be done with some C library ?
IOW, which percentage of the code of an app is enough to decide to keep
Rev as the central dev. tool ?
And last but not least : if there's any flow in this approach, I'd really like

to hear your comments & critics about it...

BTW, one issue I forgot to mention in my original post : on this question
of mouse events handling, some might object that the choice of Rev, because
of its cross-platform compatibility, might be wiser in terms of productivity
and time spent on debugging the C code for each platform...
But since 85% of the code will need to be fine tuned for each platform, it
doesn't add much to the total, and (please correct me if I'm wrong) most C
libraries for mouse events are already optimized for all platforms I guess...

JB