Documentations Biggest Flaw

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 25 14:45:05 EST 2004

Wolfgang M.Bereuter wrote:
>>> Verbal learners will love the rev documentation. They learn best by
>>> verbal communication. They pick things up by reading or listening. The
>>> documentation for this type of learner is fabulous.
>>> Kinesthetic learners understand things by taking them apart, putting
>>> them back together, practicing with the parts. Getting in there and
>>> swinging the hammer, pounding a few nails, hands on kind of thing; that
>>> is how they learn best. With rev, they will learn the most as they play
>>> with the cook book, open up the scripts, seeing how they work,
>>> modifying them to see what happens. The rev documentation is OK here,
>>> not great, but it has been improving in this area.
>
> Exactly thats the point I was talking about on this list since it has
> started. Finally I gave up. Thanks that you Dave came up and explained
> it much better than i could. But, how du you think you (we) can get this
> in to the head of verbal, left brain, digital and sequential working
> heads of a programmer?

As Paul Looney observed at last night's RUG-LA meeting, the
documentation is nearly completely devoid of screen shots.

Paul's own manual for his IT Works product provides an inspiring
contrast:  hardly a page doesn't include at least once screen shot,
often more, so readers can more easily grasp context than would be
possible with text descriptions alone.

I believe Paul's point applies to all types of learners:  even the most
verbally-inclined learner will also respond measurably well to
illustrations.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation