[OT] RE: counter++ versus "add 1 to counter"

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Mar 24 23:11:27 EST 2004

Hiya

I just returned from a conference for one of my major clients. They have a
range of products written in everything from Revolution to C++. An
interesting statement made when they were discussing my software:
"If all our developers could do what Monte can do in the time he does it
then we would be miles ahead of the competition." (I attribute that mostly
to the fact that I'm developing in Rev obviously)

I was chatting to the developer of a world leading sport video analysis tool
and it's all written in C++. He's 18 months behind in his development
schedule. Anyway I said I use Revolution so he said let's test the speed v
C++. So... what were the results?

Rev was only 7 times slower in the tests we did. It was a simple adder in a
repeat loop. He was very impressed and said he would download rev. I think
he was expecting something like 50 to 100 times slower. He needs a dual G5
to get decent compile times for his 700 pages of C++. Maybe he was impressed
that all I needed to do was click apply and then the button ;-) I should
have got the Java developer there to do the same because I'm sure that would
have proved interesting ;-)

PS He came up with a cool idea of using a bundle as a custom file type so
you can have a clickable file that's really an entire directory structure.
Cool hey ;-) Wish bundles were cross platform.

Cheers

Monte