Learning styles and RR

Meitnik at aol.com Meitnik at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 17:40:56 EST 2004

In a message dated 03/21/2004 01:02:02 PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:

> Kinesthetic learners understand things by taking them apart, putting
> them back together, practicing with the parts. Getting in there and
> swinging the hammer, pounding a few nails, hands on kind of thing; that
> is how they learn best. With rev, they will learn the most as they play
> with the cook book, open up the scripts, seeing how they work,
> modifying them to see what happens. The rev documentation is OK here,
> not great, but it has been improving in this area.
> -- I thank you for educating the list. :)
     Part of my disabilities is Learning. Parts of my brain that deal with
info processing is damaged, but my brain, after many years of hard work, for the
most part is very bright, very inventive. When I was in college I was told I
could never program: "You don't have the mental power to do that". Fast
forwarding to '97, HyperCard came out with good documentation (Goodman gave us
excellent ;-) ) and lots of sample stacks. Finally I was given a toe hold to
programming and the confidence I could do it. I pushed on wanting to master the
skills of programming, which is not language dependent. I did. The key was well
written documentation reaching out to different learning styles. Many years
later, When I was doing tech support and testing for Altsys, I pushed for
documentation that embraced learning styles (by product of testing each and every step
or description in the docs). Altsys won many awards for its documentation for
its hard work. Mind market share is not just in UI or ads, but in
documentation. I should not have to spend money buying books to learn the basics and full
features of an expensive product. If I want to go to next level and seek out
real masters, yes I gladly pay for the books. (Btw, charging 100.00 for
printed docs is frankly outrageous. Nearly every product I can by now allows me to
download a PDF version or HTML of its docs)

Andrew

Andrew