Database Experience

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 07:47:40 EST 2004

--- John Dixon <johndixon at macmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested to know what database people are
> using with Revolution.
>
> What seems to be the favourite and for what
> reason... Are you using  MySQL,
> Postgres or Valentina, for example... What prompted
> your choice ? Are
> you using databases in a personal or commercial
> capacity ?

As a developer of accounting and administrative
applications, I use databases in a professional
capacity.
I'm using both MySQL and Valentina in conjunction with
Revolution (*), and hope to find the time to examine
PostgreSQL soon.

Valentina is excellent if you don't need a multi-user
database ; I have a few gripes with its current
implementation of SQL but have found it to be fast and
convenient to set up.
MySQL is currently my database of choice for the
internal database-related projects I work on. It is
fast, multi-user and easy in both setup and
administration. Plus, it is available for more
platforms than Valentina.

Apart from that, I follow with interest Rob Cozens'
SDB-project, not in the least because it successfully
uses the Inter-Program Communication library libIPC
for which I ignited the project and contributed code.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

(*) A lot of my work is done in FoxPro though, at
least until we convert all these projects into
Revolution stacks.

=====