How could I debug code in an standalone?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Mar 17 03:07:55 EST 2004

Hi Alejandro,

To help debug standalones, I use a combination of:

1) A standalone splashScreen for all my apps -- which also updates the
main stack over the internet. This way, I can edit a stack in RR, save,
run the standalone and it loads/runs the same stack I just edited (and
didn't even close). This makes testing very quick

2) I generally have an altLog stack which I can access by pressing some
special keys. I can turn on or off logging as needed. I have a handler I
call:

altLog "User Quits"

which adds to the log.

3) From Richard Gaskin, I got the name 'StripAndShip' for a handler
which is invoked before saving the stack for distribution. It generally
sets all fields to empty and resets the controls to their default values.

4) I almost never store data in stacks. I typically store data either on
a server, or local disk as XML or text files. The only exception is when
I need to store images as well. In that case, I'll store data as
separate stack files (aka ButtonGadget) which are only 'loaded' on
demand -- by loaded I mean the data copied from it. This is just
personal style, but I think it has many advantages...especially when it
comes to making things internet savvy.

Hope this helps...

Chipp