Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 14:53:08 EST 2004

Yes.  So long as customers are still using 9.1.1, there is an implicit
obligation to fix bugs therein.  Once a product is purchased, the
manufacturer has an implicit obligation to the purchaser to ensure that
it functions as advertised.  Simply releasing a "new version" does not
relieve one of the obligation to fix defects in the older version.

If I buy the last 2004 automobile sold by Toyota, they are still
obliged to fix defects in that vehicle for duration of the warranty
period and, in the case of major recallable defects even after the
expiration of the explicit warranty.  Saying: "Oh we no longer sell
that model" does not relieve them of their responsibility to purchasers
of the earlier model.

Are you suggesting that if I buy 9.1.1 today and you release 10.0
tomorrow that you have no obligation whatsoever to me to ensure that
9.1.1 meets the specifications you set out for it , specifications upon
which I based my decision to purchase it?   Surely that cannot be
right.

Marian