TSCC license

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 9 08:13:32 EST 2004

On Mar 9, 2004, at 1:40 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Trevor DeVore wrote:
>> The Ambrosia videos use the QuickTime Animation codec which isn't a
>> very good delivery codec but it is all QT really had for screen
>> capture.  At 100% quality it is lossless but even when you drop the
>> percentage slider down you get larger file sizes then you would with
>> a codec like TSCC.  Ensharpen for QT is actually a pretty big deal
>> because QT has not had a screen capture delivery codec while WiMP and
>> Real have for quite some time.  The codec has good compression, is
>> lossless and is nice to your CPU (unlike Sorenson).
>
> I hear TSCC is good (I look forward to seeing it too, but it won't
> show the video track on my new G4 laptop).
>
> My point is not about the relative merit of one codec over another,
> but that the technology to deliver useful screen recordings as
> training materials has been around for years and can be done with
> readily available tools.  In the highly competitive video compression
> arena it will only continue to get better over time.

Sorry Richard, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I've been delivering
training materials using the Animation codec for a few years which is
why I am excited about the Ensharpen offering.

> I just didn't want to leave folks with the impression that a "perfect"
> solution being creatable only on Windows would preclude a "good"
> solution from being created anywhere.  Many companies have been
> delivering training videos over the Web for quite a while, and a lot
> of them were done on Macs.

Definitely.  With the release of Snapz Pro 2 the Mac solution got even
better.  The recording ability of this upgrade is really amazing.

> Having a "lossy" codec does not necessarily mean the instructional
> value will also be lost.  Yes, getting the very best quality
> technology allows can be valuable, but getting results now with the
> tools at hand can be more so.

Agreed, as I mentioned above, I have been working with the current tool
set for a while and just really like the new offerings.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com