[OT] Alternate User Input Methods

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Mar 7 01:57:15 EST 2004

This is not directly related to Rev, but perhaps in some small way it could
be.  If you own an iSight camera, you might want to check out ToySight, a
set of iSight controlled games from FreeVerse Software (www.freeverse.com).
The games in and of themselves are not earth shattering, but the means of
interaction is pretty compelling: move your hands and gesture in front of
the camera to control and interact with the games.  Makes me wonder if this
type of thing could be done with Rev on a smaller scale (though I'd guess
that Rev might not be fast enough to keep up with the input of the camera).

Anyway, it's interesting to see how FreeVerse designed/laid out the UI to
account for interaction where input is essentially very inaccurate.  After
an hour or so playing, it's easy to see why this type of gestural input is
impractical for all but the strongest of computer users, but it's still a
thought provoking experience in terms of how folks interact with their
machines.  Between ToySight and the iBiz Virtual Keyboard
(http://store.yahoo.com/ibizpda/vike.html), maybe a Minority Report type
future for computing isn't so far away...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design