Again with the start using.

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Mar 3 13:02:10 EST 2004

>I assume most folks pass preOpenCard down the message path, for
>example.  If I have a library stack that uses that, I need to doc
>that.  If this is not really a common style, I might want to add a
>handler that must be called on preOpenCard and make that an
>alternative method.

I suggest it should be the second approach, Dar:

If your library wants a call to darsPreopenCard whenever any card in
any stack is opened from a developer's standalone or stack, your
documentation should tell the developer to place the call in their
script

	on preOpenCard
		darsPreopenCard
	end preOpenCard

It just strikes me that a library distributed for general purpose use
by who-knows-who should not respond to any message other than a call
to a library handler and the libraryStack message sent to it when it
is placed in use.

In this regard, a library's own open/preopen stack and closeStack
handlers should be located in the script of the first card, rather
than in the library stack script.  This prevents the library from
intercepting those messages when they are sent to other stacks.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company