Again with the start using.

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Mar 3 12:02:31 EST 2004

>However, I don't have a strong feeling on this one and would try to
>go along with common practice and good style and...

Dar, et al:

Certainly the legacy from virtually all HyperTalk handlers written
and distributed by Apple as part of the HyperCard package is to pass
all such messages.  The logic, I suppose, emphasizes modularity, and
thus may make sense when a team of programmers is working on project
where some event needs to trigger multiple handlers.

But for one-developer standalone projects, I don't see the need.
Perhaps down deep I, like Alex, have an aversion to sending or
passing a message to nowhere.

    :{`)

Anyway, I know where the messages in my applications are supposed to
be handled, and I don't pass them unless I know they need to be
handled further up/down (as you choose) the line.

And in cases like Serendipity Library, where I'm building a resource
that others might incorporate into their own applications, I try to
contain the functionality of Library calls such that they won't
affect the runtime environment or other libraries.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company