Rev Instant Messenger client

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Jun 30 00:27:41 EDT 2004

>> Does anyone have a Revolution instant messenger client library - for
>> any of the major IM types - MSN, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo etc ?
>>
>> ~ Rodney
>
>Rodney,
>
>I don't have one but I've implemented a simple client for a custom app
>I am developing... it's simple, server is a DB, client flush data to
>central DB and client will look for data every couple seconds, so, I've
>got almost instant messenger features. I'll release this code soon.

David Bovil has a client for Jabber which I believe he has been planning to
release for a while. Maybe he'll chime in here?

>If you're looking for REAL instant messaging protocol, I urge your to
>look into Jabber protocol, it's widespread, it's XML based and (I might
>be wrong) it's HTTP based, so we could easily port the protocol for Rev
>use, we already have plenty of HTTP and XML code/knowledge base to get
>us started!
>
>If you decided to port jabber to Rev (and it is XML and HTTP based, I
>don't know if they changed that), then I could help you.

I've looked into Jabber (XMPP) and started writing a libXMLPP but haven't
had a project that required it's completion. It's quite feasable to develop
a Rev client. It's not HTTP based. The basics are you open a TCP connection
to the server and then there are two xml streams sent over the connection.
One from client to server and one from server to client. It sort of looks
like a discussion in XML.

Cheers

Monte