dragging images from web pages?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jun 24 19:07:29 EDT 2004

Hi Malte – here's the remaining difficulty (which it appears was why I
wasn't having much success in my earlier trials). In Safari (and others
perhaps) If the image is also a link, the URL that gets passed is not
the image URL but the link URL, in which case any DnD approach will
fail. I guess it is possible to get the user to copy the image to the
clipboard in this case and use a pasting routine to transfer it but it
would have been nice to have a truly interoperable DnD solution.

Anyway, thanks again for all your efforts. It now seems a workable
solution is probably achievable.

Cheers,

Terry...

> From: malte.brill at t-online.de (Malte Brill)
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> I played with it and got a bit closer...
>
> I´ve put the dragdata into a field...
>
> Messagebox:
>
> ask file ""
> put fld "testdata" into url ("binfile:"&it)
> import paint from file it
>
> that does create a correctly sized image, but still not yet a proper
> version
> (on 9. No time to check X yet).
>
> Best,
>
> Malte
> From: malte.brill at t-online.de (Malte Brill)
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> Finished the tests under X and got it working there.
>
> Tested for Netscape and Safari -> These drag links here. So I use the
> first
> method posted earlier.
>
> Internet Explorer -> drags binary image data. I use the 2nd method
> (posted
> today) I can make a working stack available tomorrow if you are
> interested.
>
> Why it doesn´t work under 9 I´d really like to know. No Idea for Win.
> I´ll
> test it later.
Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Facutly of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne