X10 [was: Re: socket and serial port]

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Jun 18 14:18:55 EDT 2004

Graham-

Friday, June 18, 2004, 12:56:38 AM, you wrote:

GS> I've got to admit that I haven't been able to follow the technicalities of
GS> this topic, but I'm very interested in X10, at least 'modern' X10 which I
GS> understand includes some level of interactivity (originally it appeared to
GS> me that you could send signals to a device but not receive any meaningful
GS> feedback). Can I ask you Mark to tell us if you get anywhere with all this?
GS> I have in mind a kind of remote monitoring and control system probably
GS> based on X10, although in my case it will have to wait until I have
GS> broadband in both my locations instead of just one as now. Unless anyone on
GS> the list is adopting another approach.

I'm working out the details of an x10 library now. I use a firecracker
interface from the computer. It's a postage-stamp-sized box that fits
onto a db9 serial port and sends out rf signals to x10 devices. If I
can get the signaling pins working correctly the rest of it will fall
into place nicely.

http://www.x10.com/automation/firecracker.htm

As far as x10 devices go, some provide feedback, some don't. My lamp
controllers just accept "on" and "off" commands - they don't tell me
whether they're already on or off. But there are security switches and
weather stations and who knows what else that do send information
back.

I'll let you know if this goes anywhere. The critical thing is
avoiding sending any glitches out the serial port when toggling the
control lines from runrev.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net