X10 [was: Re: socket and serial port]

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 18 03:56:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:22:16 -0700, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

>[snip]
>But for some reason the x10 serial programmers decided to create a
>whole new standard which ignores the data lines. Don't ask me why. My
>guess is that it's so that x10 communications don't interfere with a
>datastream to another device piggybacked onto the controller.

I've got to admit that I haven't been able to follow the technicalities of
this topic, but I'm very interested in X10, at least 'modern' X10 which I
understand includes some level of interactivity (originally it appeared to
me that you could send signals to a device but not receive any meaningful
feedback). Can I ask you Mark to tell us if you get anywhere with all this?
I have in mind a kind of remote monitoring and control system probably
based on X10, although in my case it will have to wait until I have
broadband in both my locations instead of just one as now. Unless anyone on
the list is adopting another approach.

Excuse the interruption.

Graham