Ugh. Bogged down...

Bob Nelson bobnelson at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 01:39:13 EDT 2004

You're right regarding the 'no turning back' issue. Some of my employees
were trying to take me off into Java-land, others insisted I needed to learn
a "more powerful language" and suggested everything from C-sharp to D-flat.
They were pretty funny to watch when I whipped out my old Mac and showed
them the wonders of HyperCard...

Now, I'm learning how to dive in a little deeper and doing only a "little"
hair-pulling.

By the way, I don't think I'll be going with Enterprise tonight...  I will
likely go with the first level of pro and build from there.

I was trying to understand what you're saying, below, about replacing the
(cr & cr) with cr, and don't see where you're referring to this in the
original suggestion I'm working with.  It is likely I missed something
(important).

It would be awesome to get times like 5 seconds, but I must admit that I'll
be happy to just get it in the 'couple-of-minutes' range!

One of the lines provided to me says:

 repeat for each line tLine in tData

As I'm working with further 'massaging' of the grabbed text, I'm playing
with some of this code and this one left me scratching my head (and there
ain't a lot of hair up there!) -- what is the function of the (variable?)
tLine in this text?  I didn't see it previously declared in the script and
wondered why this wouldn't simply be:

repeat for each line in tData

Instead.  Again, I'm sure I missed something important, but I really AM
paying attention.

I also wanted to comment that one of the reasons I decided to go with
Revolution instead of any of the other suggestions is the tone and
helpfulness of the members of this list.  I'm glad to be a member of a list
where everyone seems to want to share ideas, rather than berate the newbies
or 'one-up' the others on the list.  Hopefully the developers remember those
who bought in at the ground floor when they're rich and famous...  (For
those of you who've been around the Mac arena since 1983 (yes, I said "3"),
think HyperCard, and FirstClass, etc.)

Thanks for the support!

Bob

> Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:

> No turning back now... ;-)
>
> just fyi, most of us rev users would consider 25 seconds
>  to process 140 lines of text as very slow...
>
> Of course I never use progress bars. I've processed 2meg files of raw
> text mailing lists
> (loaded into a variable of  course -- close to 20M lines) doing similar
> "clean ups"
> of empty lines and other garbage... in under 5 seconds.
>
> And, yes, several of us  also fell out of our chairs the first time we
> saw this.
>
>  I wonder if the replace (cr& cr) with cr would be even faster?

If all that's needed is to remove empty lines that should be another
couple orders of magnitude faster....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation