lockLoc [was Re: Alpha Channel?]

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Jun 10 12:56:44 EDT 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 9:43 AM, Marty Billingsley wrote:

> Is there any other software that really works in this manner?
> Photoshop, for example, keeps track of the original dimensions
> so you can revert or step back in history.  Web editing software,
> of course, doesn't touch the original image, but if you resize a
> picture, that resized image stays on your web page.  Somebody
> mentioned MS Word, but it, too, behaves as I would expect.

A long time ago MC used to handle images the way you wanted.  When you
sized the image down, it would lose the original data.  Sizing the
image back up would cause pixilation.  I requested as probably many
others did to have the data retained after resizing.  This made making
desktop publishing like apps easier to produce.  The side effect of the
feature request was that you needed to lockloc the image after it was
sized down.  Is only a single line of code.

I think there are times when you would like to size an image and lose
the original data for memory purposes.  Suppose you have an image
viewer that shows thumbnails.  To implement that today, you would have
to take a screenshot of the sized down image and toss the original from
memory.  If it really matters to someone, a quick jump to bugzilla for
a feature request might be to have both sizing features as an option.
While there, maybe all images that are imported should have their
lockloc set to true automatically.  This sounds like it would meet most
users needs without breaking anyones code.  Those that have their apps
setting this property after importing could take it out for
cleanliness.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto