Tasking (Background tasks)?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jun 10 12:27:13 EDT 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 5:16 PM, K wrote:

> I have read the Messages Mechanics stack and have a few questions.
>
> I realize that it is the accepted method of taking in the RR
> environment but I am wondering if there are not any simple cooperative
> multi-tasking constructs.  I am loading a significant amount of data
> using a repeat loop I would like at the approiate time to yeild to any
> other tasks.  Can I accomplish this by using wait for messages?  Has
> someone already built cooperative tasking API or LIB? Is it even
> possible.  Since using a WAG to dealy a function is contrary to many
> multi-tasking concepts.

Kevin,

I know it might be killing a fly with a tomahawk, but, you can create
two standalone stacks, one will do the loading and preparation of the
data, the other will serve as client, you can create your own protocol
for communication, or use LibIPC or even use my revHTTPd framework.
Like a thin client for your pleasure and a working horse behind...
don't know what you're doing and this might be more work than waiting
for the loop.

If you're doing some scientific computing thingie or data mining stuff,
this might be a good way to go, a network-savvy number crunching stack
and a thin client...

This are my two brazilian-cents, (they should ammount to 0,0053
euro-cents! :D)

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL