Disappointing demo

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 8 06:50:53 EDT 2004

Yesterday I went to a friend's house and downloaded the demo version of
Rev 2.2 to his Mac PowerBook running system 10.2. I had been extolling
the virtues of Rev and suggesting it as a solution to a programming
project he is working on. In less than five minutes we had a standalone
downloading a file from the web and displaying it in a window. But in
that same five minutes:

1. I noticed the Bookmark menu in the script editor. I had never
noticed it before so, eager to show off the excellent documentation, I
searched for "bookmarks" and got three hits. But clicking on the first
two did nothing. I just tried it on my system running 10.3 with same
result. OK, no biggy...

2. While making the standalone settings we noticed white horizontal
lines across the text when you scroll a field. I remember this bug from
an earlier version of Rev (it kept me from selling Rev as a solution to
a client at the time) but I thought it was fixed. I encouraged my
friend to upgrade to Jaguar...

3. I set the name of the app to "Net App Test", more than once, but it
kept reverting itself back to "Untitled 1". This wasn't a problem on my
system where I had tested this demo. On his system, I had saved the
stack without setting the name first, so went back and changed the
name, then made the standalone settings, saving the stack when
prompted. Haven't investigated further...

My friend was still pretty impressed with all of Rev's capabilities,
especially with its net-savvy features. But he was not convinced that
it was a mature and reliable product after these problems showed up so
quickly. Sorry to seem like I'm just complaining. I cut RunRev a lot of
slack myself, and look forward to the bug-fix release that's coming.
The positive lesson to get from this is, to find problems in your
application most quickly, go demonstrate it to someone.

Can anyone offer any suggestions about 2 and 3 above? I'm just starting
to use the standalone builder and haven't found much in the archives or
on the help sites listed in RevNet that is specifically about this. I
hope RunRev will include a Tutorial soon on using the SB...

Jim Lyons