Capabilities: RTF editing, Graphs, flat-file database

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Jun 8 00:49:24 EDT 2004

> 3) You have a number of choices on data storage; you can use internal
> card-based storage (basically one "card" per record in a stack that
> holds
> all the cards; search across the cards for what you want), or you can
> use a
> number of DBMSes (Valentina, PostgreSQL, mySQL, etc.).

Just to add to Ken's answer about data storage:
The one-card-per-record method will get rather unwieldy and slow if you
have 60,000 records. I wouldn't recommend that method for more than
about 1000 records.
Another very popular way is to use a single data field with one line
per record, and each field in the record separated by some delimiter,
usually tab. The whole field can be loaded into memory allowing very
fast searching, sorting etc.
Also, you might want to consider XML which saves your data externally
in a file that can be read by many applications, but uses Rev's fast
XML library for searching, editing etc.

Cheers,
Sarah