Cross-platform fonts...what is everyone else doing?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 27 18:47:22 EDT 2004

Wouter wrote:
>>  I just tested it again, and I can confirm it doesn't work that way --
>> when it can't find the specified font, it does not apply the fontStyle
>> or fontSize settings.
>>
>> The Test: I created a test stack with five fields on OSX that had the
>> following font, style and size properties:
>>
>> 1. Nothing set (all default)
>> 2. Set bold attribute only
>> 3. Set to 14 pt
>> 4. Set font = "0"
>> 5 Set font = "0" and bold
>
> Try to set the font to ""
>
> Setting the font of a stack to "0" will put "0" into the textFont
> property of the stack.

But there is no font named "0" installed, so what's it using?  On my
system and those of my customers it renders using the system's default
font.  You can only verify it visually, since the engine incorrectly
reports the effective textFont.

Setting the textFont to empty is an entirely different thing, as it
clears the font settings and allows the engine to use its internal
default font, which is Helvetica.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation