Database query builder not really a bug just not finished

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Jul 21 16:37:50 EDT 2004

Thank you for you very usefull reply Bill!!!!

I have cocoaMySQL here but it keeps quiting, so I use my phpmyAdmin
from my web host control pannel, it's all integrated so no fuss here.

Also, we used to have a nice "show all records" on that "database" part
of the inspector, I used that to create listboxes like:

SQL:
select name from records.

On the inspector I would choose a field and use the "show all" on the
database part of the inspector, that worked fine! where did that option
go? that what I was talking about, not that it showed only one record,
I reviewed my old code and that the way I used to do. I would create a
listbox, fill it with names from the show all option, then on the
double click of the listbox I would acquire the desired name, change
the SQL query to reflect that choice, query the server, and move to a
nice record editing card. It worked fine, but now with the "show all"
missing, I think I'll have to code it by hand (and not by mouse as I
wanted).

cheers
andre

On Jul 21, 2004, at 3:42 PM, Bill wrote:

> On 7/21/04 1:38 PM, "use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com"
> <use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>> is anyone here using Database Query Builder on Rev 2.2.1? I am using
>> it
>> and using it to display the contents of a query in a nice listbox
>> field. The query should return 3 rows (it does that on phpMyAdmin, the
>> same query). It returns only one row on rev. Also I am making use of
>> the arcane function revSetSQLOfQuery to change the parameter of the
>> query on runtime. it is working for when I check the Database Query
>> Builder, the query is the last one I set. Any clues here?  That
>> appears
>> a nasty bug...
>
> The query builder and its nice show record function only works for one
> record at a time. You can do this:
>
> on mouseUp
>   put first word of selectedtext of me into tshipID
>
>   put "SELECT * FROM voyages WHERE shipID='" & \
>       tshipID & "'" \
>       into tSQLStatement
>
>   revSetSQLOfQuery "Connect",tSQLStatement
> end mouseUp
>
> (sorry my example is not more generic -- my query builder query is
> called
> "Connect") and then you will get a subset of your data but still only
> one
> record will show at a time in the fields that are show a connection and
> update data etc. Then you use buttons set to move to next record to
> see each
> record from your query.
>
> If you want to see a list of records like to put them in a pop-up or
> something you don't use the query builder but instead do it manually
> (and
> you can make a nice front end that mixes what the query builder does
> well
>  with what you have to do manually).
>
> Also try using CocoaMySQL instead of phpMyAdmin and you have more
> functions
> and can look stuff up quickly (especially if you have a complex
> multi-table
> database) while programming in RUNREV at the same time.

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL
http://studio.soapdog.org