Problems with printing graphics with patterns

Greg McIlhiney greg at mcilhiney.com
Sun Jul 11 14:33:26 EDT 2004

>On 7/8/04 1:33 AM, Greg McIlhiney wrote:
>
>>Any pattern that I select displays perfectly on the screen.
>>
>>But when I print the card, the rect is very dark gray. There's a
>>pattern in it but it does not resemble the selected pattern.
>>
>><snip>
>
>The most common problem with printouts like this involves the
>printer driver. Try downloading the latest driver from Lexmark if
>you don't have it already. Alternately, try printing to a different
>printer to see if it works there.

Thanks Jacque for responding! I do have the latest driver. I also
took a Mac standalone to work the other evening and tried it on four
other Macs with different printers. The printout from the HP deskjet
in my office was horrible. Not only did the rect with a pattern print
incorrectly but the rect with a solid gray was striped in strange
colors.

All of the other printers were HP postscript laser printers and they
re-produced the problem exactly as my Lexmark laser postscript
printer.

>>Here is another oddity, which seems extremely bizarre to me... If I
>>take a screen capture of the native rev graphic rectangle and then
>>paste that bitmap next to the graphic with a pattern, THEN it
>>prints properly. Remove the bitmap and the printing reverts back to
>>the weird dark gray thing.
>
>I'm not sure exactly what you mean here; do you place the screen
>capture over the original rectangle, or somewhere next to it? If
>over, then it makes some sense because the engine would be printing
>an image in that case rather than a composite of fields and patterns.

It was actually next to and on top of. When I pasted the bitmap, the
image object that was created was as wide as the card. So the
screenshot did not cover the graphic rectangle, but the bounding box
of the image object did.

This is hard to explain, but here is a page with some images to
explain the problem I am running into and exactly what the printouts
look like:

    http://mcilhiney.com/revPrint.html

I am a little frustrated after spending lots of hours trying to
determine the cause of the problem and a possible workaround. Rev
appears to have everything I would need to create the desired app,
however the inability to print cards with the required graphic
background prevents me from moving forward.

Its seems as if it is a Mac Panther/Jaquar bug to me but I have not
found any references to this problem in the archives. I've looked at
many of the user-contributed stacks but have yet to find anyone who
has a graphic object with a backgroundPattern which I can test and
print.

If any Mac OS X user has a couple of minutes to download the stack
from the link above, print the card, and let me know if you encounter
the same problem... it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-- greg