Bringing some Game Sounds into Rev

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 10 09:45:22 EDT 2004

Tom Cole <tom.cole at asu.edu> writes:

> The HyperCard stack I am converting is a little pinball game and I used
> to use the Play Harpsichord command to get music to play. I'd just
> write in the notes. All I really need is for the game to beep, and
> boing at wrong answers and maybe play a few notes or go "ding!" when
> the ball hits something. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Do
> I make Mp3 files and somehow incorporate them into the RunRev stack?
> Just something simple to get me started would really be appreciated.

Others have mentioned shakobox, which is terrific.  It might be overkill
for what you're doing (and I think it only works on Macs).  There are
also CDs of sound effects for multimedia, which my students find useful
for games.  Files are in aiff format.  Choose File>>Import as Control>>
Audio File and broswe for the sound you want.  Then use the "play"
command within Rev to play the sound.

As I said, we have CDs of these sounds, from FTC Publishing, but there
are probably lots of sound effects for free out on the Web.

have fun!
  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools