Call for Tutorial Topics

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 8 01:07:00 EDT 2004

Some suggested topics (I'm sure I will have more):

1)  Screenshots from the interface with description of what every
single item (even the esoteric and obscure ones) means. I guess this
would be a tutorial on how to navigate the IDE.  [This is the top
priority IMHO]

2) Simple file I/O  -  I have just put together a demo of this along
with a description of how to do it. I would be glad to share this.
[BTW, check page 236 of your book (PDF), Dan--you say you will have
some demos of reading from files later in the chapter but there aren't
any there or anywhere from that page forward--unless my PDF is missing
something.]

3) How to create a new card using groups set to act like background -
someone asked about this on the list a week or two ago and I put
together a really simple address book stack for him.  This also covered
the topic of how to save data when running from a standalone (save data
to a non-standalone stack, as opposed to saving to a file)  Again, I
would be glad to share this.

3) Arrays

4) Functions  [This is something I sorely need, but admittedly it isn't
something a beginner would even think of tackling.]

5)  Frankly, I think a few demo stacks showing complete newbies some
nifty, whiz-bang things they can do with Rev, eg, a Christmas card with
simple animated fire burning in hearth and Christmas carol playing in
background, the kind of demos that came with HyperStudio, would also be
useful if we are trying to attract the interest of newbies who might
get fascinated enough to spring for the low end version of Rev.  Maybe
even a few sample buttons with built-in scripts they can use (go prev,
go next, that sort of thing).

It's well after midnite in my part of the world and I am fading fast.
I'm sure I will have more ideas.