Read from file, then display results?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jul 8 00:59:52 EDT 2004

Marian,

Mark makes some good points. I would add this:

Unless I am working with huge 100's of MByte files, I always read the
contents of a file into memory first, then sort it out from there.

Likewise, I would move from card to card, fld to fld and store data in a
variable, then write to disk.

I also find I *rarely* need to work with arrays, as using List data
(variables with lines with tab delimited items) are almost as fast, and
much easier to debug as you can see the data in the debugger easily.

On occasion it is necessary to work with arrays-- math and custom props
sets, but I generally try and leave that type of work to Dar ;-)

on mouseUp
   answer file "Choose a txt file:"
   if it is empty then exit to top
   put it into tFilePath
   put URL ("file:" & tFilePath) into tMyData
   --> DO STUFF TO MY DATA

   --> NOW SAVE MY DATA
   put tMyData into URL ("file:" & tFilePath)
end mouseUp

-Chipp