Arrays was Documentation and Books

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 18:07:07 EDT 2004

on 7/7/04 2:46 PM, Marian Petrides at mpetrides at earthlink.net wrote:

> Is the str   a necessary part of the variable name, or am I correct in
> thinking that even if you don't specifically say it is a string, Rev
> will assume it is?
>
> I.e. can I just as easily
>
> put "Sunday" into dayOfWeek[1]  etc
>
> or
>
>> put "Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday" into
>> dayOfWeek
>>
>> split dayOfWeek by comma
>>
>> answer dayOfWeek[3] && dayOfWeek[7]
>
> Thanks.

It's a good thing that you asked me because this is what I'm best at.  Rev
knows it's a string because of the text is within quotes.

So you could do this:
put "bob caught a fish" into bobStory
you could even shorten bobStory to bS

So your example is correct:
>put "Sunday" into dayOfWeek[1]

Look at this:

put "Sunday" into dayOfWeek[1]
put "Tuesday" into dayOfWeek[3]
put "Thursday" into dayOfWeek[5]

Notice that dayOfWeek[2] & dayOfWeek[4] are empty. 1, 3, and 5 are keys to
the array dayOfWee. Look in the docs for "Keys."

Mark