Preferences files

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 22 16:42:41 EST 2004

On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 12:56  PM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> If I ask the user to save a Pref file somewhere on their machine then
> what is the best way to get that file loaded next time they run the > CD?
> The CD is meant for cross-platform distribution.

Thomas,

I do this:

   if the platform is "MacOS" then
     put specialFolderPath("preferences") into regStatGoPath
     put regStatGoPath & "/yourpref.txt" into itX
     if there is a file itX then
       put URL ("file:" & itX )) into temp
       -- put decompress(URL ("binfile:" & itX )) into temp
     else
       -- do something here to create one
     end if
   end if
   if the platform is "Win32" then
     put specialFolderPath("system") into regStatGoPath
     put regStatGoPath & "/yourpref.txt" into itX
     if there is a file itX then
       put URL ("file:" & itX )) into temp
       -- put decompress(URL ("binfile:" & itX )) into temp
     else
       -- do something here to create one
     end if
   end if

I would also add base64 for your cross-platform distribution.

Mark