Burning a disc of files from within Rev

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Mon Jan 19 17:41:34 EST 2004

I've searched through my archive of messages but didn't find anything
specific about the following:

Given a list of files that a user specifies in my Rev app, how can I
burn them to a CD?

The answers "use applescript" or "call Terminal code" are not adequate.
If someone can point me to the specific script (a URL, perhaps?) and
the Transcript syntax, -that- would be an answer.

This is an old topic that really has never been properly addressed. I
spoke with Tuviah and Frederic at MacExpo about this. If we expect
folks to "sign on" with Revolution, there needs to be an easily
utilized plugin or, perhaps, a sample stack that does it -and- shows
the specifics in the Transcript code. Furthermore, the entire process
(from the developer's standpoint) needs to be done in Transcript.
Something like this:

on mouseUp
	-- do whatever Transcript is necessary to gather the list of files
	-- 	into myFileListVar.
	-- do whatever Transcript error-checking is necessary to verify
	-- 	the size is under 690MB.
	burn myFileListVar
	-- the above line of code does whatever is necessary to call the
	-- 	AppleScript or Terminal code that is in the plugin or stack.
end mouseUp

Obviously, the "gather the list" and "error-check the total size" is
easily accomplished directly in Transcript. It's the "burn
myFileListVar" line that Transcript needs. If you want to get fancy,
you could add "as HFS+" or "as ISO", etc.

Personally, I'd love to see an example stack with radio buttons for CD
format, a button with Transcript code to fill a field with filepaths
and sizes and, in the stack script, the syntax for taking this info and
accomplishing the burn. If Applescript is the best external method,
then so be it. Provide the Applescript along with the example stack.

Once this is done, ANY Rev developer may include disc burning in
his/her app and there's one less thing that Rev CAN'T do.

TIA,
Barry