sound problems with Linux

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Jan 16 22:24:39 EST 2004

Hello folks

At one stage in an application, I play some speeches from famous
politicians (believe me, it is funnier than it sounds...)  However, I have
run into several problems with this whilst testing this on Linux.

I've tested on two of the Live cds that work with my sound card
(LindowsOS4 and Knoppix 3.3), so the problems should be easier for others
to replicate.  I've tested with both a .au file that is embedded in the
stack, and a .wav file that is played in a player.  Whilst the results are
flawless on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and OS X, on both versions of Linux
there is some problem.

a) Knoppix 3.3 - On Knoppix the audio clip speech is distorted, yet if I
play the same clip on that machine using the Linux 'audacity' sound file
player the sound is fine, so it doesn't look like the cause of the problem
is related to how the OS is driving the sound card.  When I try to play
the .wav file in the player, nothing happens, even though I have a button
that locates the file to play and issues the 'start' command.

b) LindowsOS 4 - Playing the .au file in the audioclip on LindowsOS the
sound is much less distorted, but there is some drop-out that is not there
on Windows or OS X.  However, when I set the filename of the player object
to point to the sound file on LindowsOS, it plays immediately, whereas it
is intended to only play when the 'play' button of the controller is
clicked (the behaviour I see on Windows and OS X).