topLevel vs. open stack

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Jan 14 14:23:19 EST 2004

If I'm reading the docs correctly, topLevel should close a stack if
it's open and then re-open it in an editable window UNLESS it is
already open in an editable window, in which case it should merely make
it the current stack. But there appears to me to be some subtle
difference between sending "open" to a closed stack and sending
"topLevel" to a closed stack.

Here's my basic demonstration.

Stack is open. It has a field 1 and a button. The button has a script
that looks like this:

on mouseUp
   lock screen
   lock messages
   select field 1 of this stack
   copy
   topLevel stack "foo"
   paste
   unlock messages
   unlock screen
end mouseUp

Clicking the button brings up stack "foo" in an editable window as
documented but the paste never happens.

Simply change "topLevel" to "open" and the script works as expected.

If I begin with both stacks open, the result is identical.

So two questions arise:

1. How if at all can I copy and paste objects between two open stacks?

2. Why does topLevel behave differently from open and from the way it
seems to be documented?