RevConference - Client Server vs Stateless

HyperChris at aol.com HyperChris at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 19:09:38 EST 2004

In Jerry Daniels presentation on thin clients he stated a strong preference
against using the client-server model, which I took to be Rev talking to the
database directly, in favor of what he called a stateless model in which rev
made http calls to the Apache/MySQL/PHP setup.

The obvious question I have is why ? Do the stateful operation of direct
database calls create a reliability problem? (The little voice in my head says I
am missing something here!)

Also, it occurs to me that the Rev engine could replace PHP and allow one to
simplify that aspect of it a little bit. I say a little bit because one would
still have to right scripts for the Rev engine that translate ones tags into
database calls. Has anyone taken this route and care to share its effectiveness
?

Thanks.