Flute Tuner

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jan 11 17:10:57 EST 2004

On Sunday, January 11, 2004, at 02:49 PM, Ken Norris wrote:

> ...other than that, the only thing I can do is point you to QuickTime
> midi
> instruments and see if there is some way to use the player to make
> comparisons. At least you could do it by ear.

I think this is a good idea.

Or look for other methods that avoid actually measuring the frequency
of the flute.  Would high, low or right-on indicators be OK?

I see three problems areas in measuring the frequency of a flute tone.

The first is (the best I know) that recording is to a file and is not
an input stream.  That will make a delay from recording the tone and
then analyzing it.  The greater the accuracy needed, the longer the
delay.  (There might be some way to avoid some of that.)

The second is converting the sound file into a form for computation.

The third is the signal processing.  This might involve some digital
filtering and then a FFT.  The FFT result would then be analyzed for
finding the fundamental.  There are probably ways to avoid that if all
you need is the fundamental and you know about what it is.

I hope that I'm missing something in all this.  This looks like a lot
of work to me.

Dar Scott